An Analysis of the Issue of Rural Left-Behind Elderly From the Perspective of Sociology

Guanchen SHEN, Shijie SHEN


A large number of young labor forces in rural areas migrate to China’s South-East coastal areas and large and medium-sized cities to seek to work, which causes a lot of rural elderly left behind at home. Rural left-behind elderly shoulder heavy burden, yet with low income, and even have no means of living. They are unlikely to get good care and concern both in living and mentally. The society and the academia should pay more attention to the survival condition of such families. This paper analyzes problems existing in rural left-behind children and the reasons for these problems at the cultural and institutional level. Finally, the paper proposes some suggestions to resolve these problems.


Rural left-behind elderly; Economic income; Psychological need; Pension mechanism

Full Text:



Chen, M. (2009). Problems existing in rural left-behind elderly and countermeasures. Modern Agricultural Sciences, (4).

Huang, R. L. (2011). The condition of families of empty-nest elderly in China. Population & Economics, (5).

Li, Q. (2012). Study on outflowing peasants in China and their remittance. Sociological Studies, (1).

Yu, Z. J. (2010). An analysis of problems in left-behind children in rural areas. Population Research, (2).

Zhuo, Y. ((2006). Opinion on the issue of rural left-behind children. Agricultural Archa, (6).



  • There are currently no refbacks.

Copyright (c)

Share us to:   


  • How to do online submission to another Journal?
  • If you have already registered in Journal A, then how can you submit another article to Journal B? It takes two steps to make it happen:

1. Register yourself in Journal B as an Author

  • Find the journal you want to submit to in CATEGORIES, click on “VIEW JOURNAL”, “Online Submissions”, “GO TO LOGIN” and “Edit My Profile”. Check “Author” on the “Edit Profile” page, then “Save”.

2. Submission

  • Go to “User Home”, and click on “Author” under the name of Journal B. You may start a New Submission by clicking on “CLICK HERE”.

We only use three mailboxes as follows to deal with issues about paper acceptance, payment and submission of electronic versions of our journals to databases:;;

 Articles published in Higher Education of Social Science are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 (CC-BY).


Address: 1055 Rue Lucien-L'Allier, Unit #772, Montreal, QC H3G 3C4, Canada.
Telephone: 1-514-558 6138 
Website: Http:// Http://;

Copyright © 2010 Canadian Research & Development Center of Sciences and Cultures